Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2012
Let me tell you all about it...
Katerina has a dream. It’s her papa’s dream, too. Her family came to America to buy their own farm. But a year later, Papa is still working in the dangerous coal mine. Each day, the farm seems farther away.
Then Katerina is reminded of the carp that granted three wishes in an old folktale. When her younger sisters hear the story, they immediately make wishes. Trina doesn’t believe in such silliness—but what is she to think when her sisters’ wishes come true?
A farm is still too big to wish for. But, with the help of the neighbor’s handsome son, Trina starts building her dream with hard work and good sense. Then tragedy strikes, and it seems that nothing Trina wishes for will ever come true again.
- Winner, 2013 Colorado Book Award
- A BookPage Best Book of 2012
- Northwest Inland Reading Council Best Book of 2012
- 2012 NYPL 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing List
- 2013 National Book Festival 52 Great Reads Book
- 2013 Maine State Library Cream of the Crop List
- 2014-2015 William Allen White Award Master List
* “Top notch.”--Kirkus Reviews, *STARRED
* "The importance of ingenuity, faith, confidence, and the willingness to dream shine through in a rich story."--Publishers Weekly, *STARRED
"Historical fiction with a touch of whimsy and romance."--School Library Journal
* “Vividly imagined.” --Booklist, *STARRED
Mobley’s lively, engaging story illustrates the frustrations and hardships, and the joys and treasures, of mining camp residents. --The Denver Post